Blackstrap molasses is a by-product of sugar cane's refining process. Sugar cane is mashed to create
Molasses is a great source of iron, calcium and magnesium. As well as being an amazing combat for stress, constipation and migraines. It helps to improve bone health, as well as wound healing and clean functioning of the immune system. But, for some, it can be a difficult taste to enjoy! These recipes give you the benefits of molasses, as well as tasting great!
Let us know!
Tag us on Instagram (or with the tag #happyvalleyhoney) with your recipes, photos and reviews! We’d love to see them and possibly send you some samples to try of ours!
Gingerbread Molasses Smoothie
· 1 cup milk (or even Almond Milk/Soy Milk)
· 1-2 tbsp Happy Valley Molasses (to taste)
· 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
· 1/4 tsp ground ginger
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 1 frozen banana
· 1 tbsp chia seeds (great in iron as well as molasses!)
· 2 ice cubes
1. Place all ingredients except for molasses into the blender and blend until smooth. Now add the molasses, a bit at a time, to taste. You may find that you only want 1 tbsp of molasses or maybe 2 tbsp if you like the taste. Blend until desired.
Honey Molasses Baked Chicken
· 6 Chicken Thighs
· 1 Tablespoon of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped.
· 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
· 2 tablespoons of finely chopped onion
· 4 tablespoons of honey
· 2 tablespoons of Happy Valley Molasses
· 1 tablespoon of red
· 1 tablespoon of sriracha (optional)
· 1/4 cup of soy sauce
· 3 tablespoons of olive oil
· 3 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
· 1 tablespoon of rice wine vinegar
· Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, and cumin for seasoning the sauce
· Fresh parsley as garnish
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
2. Season each chicken thigh generously with pepper, garlic powder, and cumin.
3. Add olive oil to a hot frying pan and then add the chicken, skin down and cover.
4. Let cook for about 7-10 minutes or until the skin is very crispy.
5. Put the chicken thighs in a baking dish.
6. Combine the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl to make the sauce.
7. Add to the baking dish with the chicken.
8. Bake for 40 minutes.
9. Serve hot.
(photo and recipe from www.mylatinatable.com)
Spicy Molasses Stir-fry Chicken
· ounces / 220gm pineapple
· 1/3 cup soy sauce
· 1/3 cup Happy Valley Molasses
· 3 tablespoons malt vinegar
· 1 tablespoon ketchup
· 1 tablespoon sriracha
· 2 cloves garlic, crushed
· ½ teaspoon grated ginger
· 2 pounds chicken, cut into
· 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
· Some red pepper flakes (optional)
1. In a blender
2. In a large sauté pan heat the oil until very hot. Place the chicken with the marinade that sticks to it in the pan and
(photo and recipe from https://food52.com)
Soft Chewy Molasses Cookies
(I made these the other day and they’re delicious!)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 150gm Softened Butter
- ¼ Cup Happy Valley Molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 ¼ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ ground cloves
- ¼ salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (to dip the top of the cookies in when rolled)
- Heat oven to 180°. In
largebowl, beat brown sugar, butter, molasses and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients exceptgranulated sugar.
2. Shape dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into 1 1/2-inch balls. Dip tops into granulated sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place balls, sugared sides up, about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake 13 to 16 minutes or just until set and cookies appear dry. Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.
Old Fashioned Molasses Cake
1. In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, then molasses, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with water.
2. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 180° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares; garnish with whipped topping.