Rosemary & honey dressing
· 100ml grapeseed oil
· 1@1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
· 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
· 2 tablespoons rewarewa honey (or your favourite honey)
· 1 teaspoon soy sauce
· 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
Put all the ingredients in a blender. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper then process until combined. Store in a jar in the fridge.
For the stacks
· 1kg beetroot
· 180g firm goat’s cheese (i used puhoi), crumbled
· 120g cream cheese, softened
· 1 tablespoon chopped soft herbs (such as chives, chervil or flat-leafed parsley)
· 2 handfuls watercress to serve
· 1⁄4 cup toasted new zealand walnut pieces
1. Add the beetroot to a large saucepan of boiling water then simmer for 40 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside to cool then peel. Cut into 5mm-thick slices.
2. Arrange the beetroot in a dish and drizzle with one-third of the dressing. Toss to coat then set aside to marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Using a wooden spoon, beat the goat’s cheese and cream cheese together then stir in the herbs.
4. Place a small blob of the cheese mix in the centre of each plate, to prevent the beetroot from sliding around.
5. Place a slice of beetroot on top of the cheese then spread with a little of the remaining cheese mix. Top with another slice of beetroot then repeat to create stacks of 3 or 4 layers.
6. Sprinkle the watercress and walnut pieces around the beetroot stacks then drizzle with the remaining rosemary and honey dressing.