Recipe by : https://food52.com/
· 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
· ½ cup pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
· 2 cups All Bran cereal
· 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
· ¾ cup whole wheat flour
· 2 tablespoons wheat germ
· 2 teaspoons baking soda
· ½ teaspoon ground allspice
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1 pinch ground clove
· 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
· ½ teaspoon kosher salt
· 1 cup raisins or sultanas, plumped in microwave (30 seconds) with 1/4 cup of orange juice
· 2 large eggs
· 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
· 3 tablespoons Happy Valley Molasses
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 ¾ cups plain yogurt (don't use greek yogurt or the muffins will be too dense.)
· 1 teaspoon orange zest
1. Melt butter and allow it to cool.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toast pumpkin seeds on cookie sheet while oven is heating, removing them when they are lightly toasted and beginning to puff a little.
3. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
4. Process 1 cup of All Bran cereal in food processor until finely ground, about a minute.
5. In large bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, clove, cocoa powder and wheat germ. Set aside.
6. In medium bowl (see what I mean?), whisk eggs till blended. Add brown sugar, molasses, vanilla and orange zest. Whisk till mixture is thick, about 30 seconds. Add melted butter. Whisk to combine. Add yogurt. Whisk to combine. Stir in processed cereal and 1 cup of unprocessed cereal. Let mixture sit until entirely moist--about 5 minutes.
7. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold with rubber spatula until batter is combined and evenly moistened. Stir in raisins and juice if using.
8. Using a 1/3 cup measure, drop batter into muffin cups forming soft mounds. Don't level surface. Sprinkle pumpkin seeds over the tops of the muffins.
9. Bake 16-20 minutes, until muffins are dark golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached.